This antique jewellery box in Burr Walnut was manufactured in 1860 by the highly respected English cabinetmakers and retailers, Halstaff & Hannaford.
The interior of the box is lined with blue velvet, grosgrain silk and Morocco leather. There is a removable leather-bound jewellery tray with a velvet-lined compartment underneath. The interior rims of the box are inlaid with ornate brass corner mounts.
The inside walls of the lid are veneered in Coromandel and delicately inlaid with double brass stringing. There is a Coromandel framed mirror fitted to the underside of the lid, that has a ruched velvet panel to the reverse. A secret push button in the roof of the lid springs the mirror forward to reveal a leather-bound letter wallet behind. Set within the letter wallet is the maker's label, that reads, 'Halstaff and Hannaford, Manufacturers, 228 Regent Street'.
The Bramah patent lock is stamped with ’S. Mordan & Co.’ and comes with its original key. ... READ more READ less